Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Proper Response is Not a Reaction

"Did you know that if you buy the book, you can get a coupon for 7.00 off the movie ticket?"

"No one in my family is seeing that movie."

"I hear that it's less intense than the book."

"Well, no one in my family is reading the book either. It's trash."

Uncomfortable silence.....

This was the exchange that took place yesterday evening between a young lady checking us out at Target, and myself, after someone behind me in line mentioned the book "50 Shades of Grey".
 The more I think about it, the more I wish that I could go back and do it over.
Why am I so quick to react, instead of taking a minute to think and respond instead?

I could have said any number of things.
"I haven't read it. It seems really demeaning toward women, especially young women."

I could have asked her a question.
"I don't know, do women really want men to treat them way the main character is treated? Is that what women really want from relationships?"

She probably thought that it was a safe topic. The book is all the rage. Everyone is reading it and looking forward to seeing the movie. It's become pop culture, and it has young women feeling "well read" if they can discuss it.

Crafting a response to encourage a conversation would have so much better.
I had an opportunity and I blew it.
I feel so strongly sometimes, that I just open my mouth and shut people down, but that is certainly not the way Jesus would do it.
Here I am, a few days away from Lent, trying to figure out how best to use those forty days.
I think the Holy Spirit is knocking on my heart, but I need a concrete way to pray and sacrifice that will hone my reactions into loving responses.
I will be praying a Novena before Lent, and I am praying that I will be given a formula of prayer and action that will set me on the road to better discipleship.
It's one of those things I can't do by myself.


1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Not much time in the line at Target to share from the heart; but I do l agree that asking questions is a better a follow up in most instances. Sometimes people need a little reminder to stop for a minute and think about their choices. Good ol' Hindsight is a great teacher. Like I always tell myself, "Next time" (and I am sure there will be a next time)….. BTW: When considering "What Jesus Would Do", remember that he did call out the Pharisees on several occasions; and He also overturned a few tables here and there.