Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Health Insurance, It's Not For Everybody

This is a letter from my friend Kim, to the Washington Post, copied to Bill O'Rielly.
 Kim is one of the finest people I know. She has no desire to be a victim. She is not ignorant, or lazy. She is a Registered Nurse, a homeschooling mom, and her husband is an accountant. She has never had a reason to believe that seeking medical care should be in question, because she and her husband have worked hard to ensure that there would be affordable medical coverage for the family. Now she finds that this isn't possible. She is frustrated, and afraid of the next illness or accident. 
So, you say it won't happen to you? She is you. She is me. We are living in a place that we never expected. 

Dear Mr. O'Reilly , 
I sent this letter to the Washington Post and I wanted to share it with you:
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post my health insurance journey but, as I sat reading articles by Dr. Carson, I felt inspired. We are a family of 11, yes 11. My husband and I are greatly blessed with nine children. Over the course of our almost 21 year marriage we have always had health insurance, until now. Now, with all these wonderful new healthcare laws, we are without health insurance. We had bought private insurance for about 10 years. My husband works for a small local business and about 8 years ago they were able to get a group plan. In the past few years our rates have skyrocketed, along with the rest of taxpaying America. 
We were informed about two weeks ago that it was time to renew our policy, and of course there would be an increase in our premium. This increase now exceeds our monthly mortgage payment. It is impossible for us to pay this premium without sacrificing food or shelter for our children. So we were told that we could purchase our own coverage through a very reputable company. When I tried to apply I was told to go to the healthcare marketplace because my family was entitled to a substantial subsidy. This really does not sit right with me as I don't feel entitled to anything except my rights as a law abiding, taxpaying citizen. I then spend a total of 10 hours on the phone over the course of the next week and a half trying to apply for health insurance. I am told that because we no longer participate in the group plan we can get a new one, but the website  does not accommodate my family size so I must give the information over the phone. This process takes an hour because I am constantly asked, with each of my children, their race, citizenship and if they are employed. Only one of my children is old enough to be employed but I am asked these questions over and over. Then I am told that this must be done manually, as they cannot calculate for my family size. I am assuming math is not a qualification for this job. I then proceed to call back daily checking on the status of my application, the same application that should take less then 24 hours to process. Four days later I am told that my application was denied. Of course I ask why. 
The answer is "I don't know we are not given that information." 
So I ask who can give me that information? 
I am told "I don't know ma'am it is just denied. I hope you have a wonderful day" 
So I try again the next day. I have nine children so I can be patient. 
Two days before my deadline to sign up, so that I can have coverage when my old coverage expires, I am told to do a new application. This one takes 2 and 1/2 hours to complete. This person typed much slower. I finish this process on Friday, June 13th and I am told that I have until June 18th to apply. 
"Do not worry ma'am that is plenty of time. Call on Wednesday morning". 
So I do, and the answer is "Your application has not been processed and you have missed the sign up period and you must reapply in November for open enrollment." 
I asked, very panicked, "What about all these things I have been told?"
 I go on to quote dates, and names, and times (nine kids makes you patient, and thorough) but I am interrupted abruptly, and told that the cut off was a rolling date and they chose for it to be the 16th not the 18th "sorry and have a wonderful day." 
So here I am with the choice, I can pay for insurance I can't afford, but I cannot purchase my own until January 1, 2015. Or my family can go without. 
I can't help but cry. I watch my husband who, during his busy season, works 14-16 hours a day. During the slow season it's 10. We pay our taxes, raise our children to be good citizens, and tell them that hard work always pays off. I am not upset that I can't get a subsidy, I'm upset that because we are not immigrants, or criminals, we can't purchase our own health insurance, and that this is perpetuated by a law that the majority of Americans didn't want. 
Immigrants founded this country. They came willing to work, not holding out their hand. I'm upset because our nation, that was founded on the backs of those willing to work and give their lives for the greater good, is being run by a tyrant and his band of merry idiots who think they can manipulate the Constitution. 
I'm upset because I can't buy health insurance for my children, and I have no options and no freedom to choose, so to speak. I can chose to kill my unborn child, but I can't get him health insurance. 
I'm upset because I am Catholic and I believe life is precious from the moment of conception to the moment of natural death, and I am being forced to pay for murder, but I can't buy health insurance for my children. 
I'm upset because the people who have been receiving entitlements, and sucking off the system continue to vote these people into office and are stealing the integrity of a great nation. 
I'm upset because both of my grandfathers fought in WWII. One was a POW in Germany. They fought to stop people like this and it seems to be in vain. 
I hope and I pray that we can turn this around, so that our children can be proud Americans and be given the opportunity to work hard and serve their God, and their Country, with pride and dignity, instead of waiting for the next handout. 
We are One Nation Under God, and I hope He will have mercy on us.

No comments: