Thursday, July 9, 2015

Time In

I have been thinking a lot, lately, about the value of time. Not just my time, but time in general. The older I get, the less there is of it, the more demand there is on it, and the more I wish that I could purchase a few extra hours a week. Of course, time is a lot like space. If you have it, you will fill it, and not necessarily with things that make life better. 

So in the interest of making life better, I am examining the ways that I am spending my time, and also the things that I do that take up time, but really aren't worth it, and don't add to the well being of my home and family. 

My focus has always been on the people in my life and the places that we inhabit. My home, my church, the lives of the people closest to me. However, how many times have I been unable to be there or to attend to the people that I care about because of things that I am trying to do that aren't going to mean anything to anyone two days from now? How many times have I passed off a chance to make a meal or have a visit with a friend, because I am attending to some business or other that really isn't important?

I wrote a while ago about how important it is to be present to someone, in a real way, every day. 
That has been wonderful! I have been making a much better effort to really see people, to ask questions, and to try to see things from where they are coming from. To smile, and mean it, when I am out shopping or having a conversation. To not always be thinking about the next place that I have to be, or the things that I have to do, but be more in the moment. 

It's not easy, and it requires discipline that I don't always have. I have been a busy person a long time. I am really enjoying the effort though!

Giving people time is really like giving them a prized possession. Maybe that's why when you do it, and mean it, they really know you care. 


No comments: