Friday, October 14, 2011

To Know Him...


[Martha] came to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving?  Tell her to help me.” Luke 10:40

     As a young adult, I spent a year as a full-time volunteer at an emergency outreach center.  I worked hard there ~ and felt rather pious and important because of it.  One busy day as I flew about helping people, a homeless man started following me around to talk about God. 
“Why did God make you?” he asked me.  I flipped through the partial catechism in my brain and came up with, “to love and serve him.” “No,” the man admonished gently.  “To know him, love him and serve him.  You have to know him first.”
     And there it was: I was Martha, with full-blown do-stuff-for-Jesus syndrome.  Certainly we are called to serve the Lord by loving and serving one another.  But it’s possible to get so caught up in being worker bees for Jesus that we neglect other aspects of our faith life, like prayer and exploring God’s Word. 
Lord, I want to get to work.  Help me remember to sit at your feet as well.  (Karla Manternac)

H/T to Lisa via F/B
It is so interesting how Mary and Martha are always popping into my life. I appreciated this little story because it is something that I struggle with daily. 
Being a doer isn't a bad thing. Working hard and serving others may be a part of who I am, but Jesus cautions us not to be so busy offering our actions that we don't take time to stop and listen to Him.

When I pray, and when I am simply present to God and listen to what he says to my heart, that is truly a time of Grace. Being with Christ, sitting at His feet, and listening to whatever Truth the Spirit wants to give me, is the best part of any day. 

Mary chose to stop all that she was doing, because she wanted to know Christ. She had to hear what He was saying, and be still and quiet so that she wouldn't miss a word. 
Martha was a good woman, she was a responsible woman, and I'm sure she intended to spend time with the Lord, after all the duties were done. What she missed was that moment, that Truth, that was waiting to be spoken just to her. Jesus speaks to us personally and He has a message that is meant just for the heart that is still, and quiet and open. 

There must be a reason that these two women are becoming such a constant in my life. I know God made me who I am, and He gave me a Martha personality, but I also know that there needs to be time in my day, every day, for more Mary and less Martha.

No comments: