Sunday, April 9, 2017

Palm Sunday

I was sitting at Mass this morning and thinking about how beautiful the rhythm of the Liturgical seasons is. Hearing the Old Testament readings of the prophesies relating to Jesus, and the Psalm of the day, which always pulls at my heart, and then the reading of the Passion. Listening to the Gospel in which Jesus goes to His death and takes on the sin of the world. I find so much certainty and assurance. We don't just read the Bible and hear the story and expect to be changed by it as we might be an experience that touches us, but that we lose touch with over time. No, we are part of this great story. It is who we are and we are changed over time, year after year, through all the seasons of life. Every year there is something different that I notice, or something that I read or listen to that adds something new to the narrative that is 2000 years old, but as new as each soul that embraces it.

This morning when I heard the reading of the passion I noticed something that I hadn't before. It sys that the saints that werre in their tombs were raised and coming forth from their tombs after His ressurection, they entered the holy city and appeared to many. I know that I have heard this many times, but I don't think I ever really noticed it. I didn't give it  lot of thought. What were these people like? Who did they approach? Did they get to stay in the world for a long time?
I am not young. I have heard this reading year after year, and yet today I was struck by this particular part of it in a new way. Our Faith never gets old! It's as new and exciting and vibrant as the Easter Sunday when Jesus stepped from the tomb.
The Holy Spirit is forever blessing us with new graces and we are reborn at every Mass when we receive His sacred Body and Blood.
The Sacraments are the manifestation of His working in us and this renewal. Real, physical, tangible conduits of His Grace that are for us in every time and season. These are things that never change, yet they change us. This brings me to my knees. It brings me to the cross and to His presence in the Blessed Sacrament. Oh, heart, if you could truly conceive of how miraculous and amazing this Love is and how complete this Mercy, you would burst with the incomparabe Joy of it all.

No comments: