Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Good Gifts....

 
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! – Matthew 7:11

I was reading this passage this morning, and thinking about Jesus' words. He could have used any words. He could have said "necessities" or "food and shelter" or "the things they need", but He didn't. He used the words "Good Gifts". Gifts are different, because we don't give them out of obligation or duty, we don't even give them because we are asked. We give gifts because we want to make the person we love happy. We want to make their lives and their world brighter and better, just because they are who they are.
He specifically talks about the relationship between parents and children. Giving a child a gift is different. We give our children gifts because we love them, and we just love to see those beloved faces light up.
Our gifts come from the heart, because these are children of our hearts.

What Gifts has God given to me, Just Because?
What has He done just for me, to see me light up, and to make my life wonderful?

Where to begin?

He has given me life itself, and the gift of my wonderful husband and children to share it with. That alone is more than I can ever thank him for.
"Here, beloved, is a man that will love and honor you. He will be your partner and best friend, and from that love I will give you the greatest Blessing that can come from human love, children, just because I love you and I want you to have Joy!"

The gift of His own child, His Son, which above all gifts is incomprehensible.
Knowing how much I love my own kids, and how much greater is His love for His Son, I can't imagine the scope of this love. How much would I have to love someone to give up one of them?

The Gifts of the Sacraments....
Gifts of Grace given to us to help us grow close to God our Father, to bind us to Him as His children, to make us one with His body, and to bring us back to Him when we stray.  And all because He loves us. Free gifts, given to us, just because.

How much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him?
Ask Him!

No comments: