Saturday, February 20, 2010

Awareness Goes Both Ways...


Today I went down into Baltimore with Paula and Susan to pray in front of an abortion clinic that has been in business for 25 years.
The website that they have up is slick and beautiful. It is rosy and upbeat.
The building itself is a drab, older office building.
The clinic is on the 6th floor and there is nothing at all rosy about it.

Route 40 goes right by the front of the building and there is a lot of traffic.
It's so surreal standing there and praying in silence while the city is hustling around.
The noise kind of fades into the background and the focus is the women, babies and the staff.

The whole time we were there I kept thinking about all the pain that goes into and out of that building.
There is only healing with love from outside. There is nothing about healing going on inside.

This clinic is in an area that is mostly lower income. I don't know how to do anything BUT pray when I am in a place where simply living is so much more difficult than the life that I have now. I have lived that way in the past. I have had to choose between food and electricity, but I have always had hope and a plan.
Love is the only thing that I can offer to a girl with two small children, no husband and no education. How can I judge her?
The pressure and the lack of information has put these women in a place that I dare not go, except for the love that I feel for them and the fact that I know that the decision that they are making will only lead to more heartache and emptiness.
There is nothing hopeful or positive about the scar that is left on the soul of a woman after her child is torn from her. It is ragged and raw and, unlike the scar in her womb, it only gets more inflamed and painful with time.

I only want to stand and pray that there will be a change within the hearts of the staff and doctors.
I want to stand and show that we are willing to be there, no matter what, to pray for the moms and babies. I want to be available if a young lady wants to ask "What else can I do?" I want the people driving by to think about what is going on in there, and maybe be encouraged to pray themselves. I want to add my prayer to all the other prayers that are going up during this "40 Days for Life Campaign".

I want to know that I did something.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Beautiful witness!

David Bereit said...

Thank you, Jennifer, for your selfless -- and profound -- action! Your prayers are helping to make a powerful difference, as we already know of 43 lives that have been saved by this spring's 40 Days for Life campaign!

Blessings,

David Bereit
National Director
40 Days for Life
http://www.40daysforlife.com