Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Homeschoolers Can't Do It....

Just in case you are reading this and you are not a homeschooling mom, kid, grandma, aunt, dad, or member of the support staff of a homeschooling family, here is a word from one who is.

It seems that there are quite a few people out there that are under the impression that homeschoolers really aren't doing anything all day, and so they are available for doctors appointments, dentist appointments, babysitting, volunteer work, and lots of other non-academic activities that take place during regular school hours.
I'm sorry, but in this particular homeschool, we are actually spending long days working very hard to get as much accomplished as possible. It's a five-day-a-week job and most days start at 9:00am, with prayers, and end around 4:00pm. John is usually still working at 5:00, or later.
If we take an hour out to run to an appointment, or do something outside our four walls, we have a very hard time getting back on track. We limit phone calls, visitors, and there is no TV, or computer, for the boys until after they finish. It's almost like...REAL school, except that we usually have a dog and a cat in class.

I know there are many homeschoolers who are able to get everyone up, fix a full course breakfast, go to Mass, get home and clean the house, get all the coursework done, and go out for PE, do a science experiment, and an art project, all before lunch, but we are not that family.

I love homeschooling, but I have found that for our family to do it well, we actually have to be home, schooling.

I am in awe of those who are able to be everywhere, incorporating everything they do into an amazing lesson. I am just not that Mom. I need the books, and the lesson plans, and the answer keys, and the clock. God bless you all wherever you are, you are amazing.

Me, I'm just a homeschooling mom, and, these days, you'll find me at home.

6 comments:

Steve said...

Good points. However, I know of some home schooling families who schedule their day differently from "regular" schools. Also, our pediatric dentist always schedules younger children in the morning and older children in the afternoon. In other words, your post comes off as sounding (just a little) smug.

priest's wife said...

I hear you! It's like how SAHMs are thought to be doing nothing with the litle ones, so they are able to be emergency everything in the neighborhood

I'm not as dependent on the schedule- but every family has different needs- you are doing a great job!

Anita said...

I can completely relate to this post. Completely. I am home too. As a matter of fact - I don't actually have time to write this comment. :)

Thanks for posting!

Kit said...

Well said! I have been homeschooling for 16 years now, and that is one of the first pieces of advice that I give to mom's considering homeschooling! That said, we DO completely disrupt our routine sometimes, as last year when my daughter in NYC had a baby and we spent Oct with her and her family :-) But , somehow, my daughter (the one homeschooling) caught up, and that is the beauty of homeschooling! You are on the right track , and do not feel guilty about it!

Kit said...

Well said! I have been homeschooling for 16 years now, and that is one of the first pieces of advice that I give to mom's considering homeschooling! That said, we DO completely disrupt our routine sometimes, as last year when my daughter in NYC had a baby and we spent Oct with her and her family :-) But , somehow, my daughter (the one homeschooling) caught up, and that is the beauty of homeschooling! You are on the right track , and do not feel guilty about it!

Kit said...

Well said! I have been homeschooling for 16 years now, and that is one of the first pieces of advice that I give to mom's considering homeschooling! That said, we DO completely disrupt our routine sometimes, as last year when my daughter in NYC had a baby and we spent Oct with her and her family :-) But , somehow, my daughter (the one homeschooling) caught up, and that is the beauty of homeschooling! You are on the right track , and do not feel guilty about it!