Thursday, July 1, 2021

The Trip So Far

 Well. We are three days into this trip and I can't believe that I haven't had a chance to blog our adventure. It has been a whirlwind of driving, hotels and driving again. The kids have been amazing!! I don't know how I got so lucky. ALL the grandkids are amazing travelers. Lilly, and all the Cookes. 

On Monday morning we hit the road from Kyle and headed for Albuquerque, New Mexico. 

It was a long drive, and we had so much rain!! It rained like crazy off and on all day. 

We wanted to stop in Roswell, to get a taste of the UFO fun that they have going there, but we ended up staying in the car and just driving up the street. 

Then, when we went to get gas, I was putting something in the back of the car and I bashed my forehead on the tailgate and it started bleeding. It stopped quickly, and now I just have a bruise, but ugh. We forged ahead and got to our hotel in time to order dinner and let the kids swim for a bit. 

Bed felt REALLY good. I have the girls in my rooms at night and they are just delightful!

Yesterday, Tuesday, we left the hotel early and drove through the rest of New Mexico. It is wild and colorful, and just beautiful in it's own way. 

We drove through several of the Indian communities, and past huge cliffs and mesas. We decided to take time out in Utah to go to Arches National Park and drive through the incredible landscape there. We were SO glad that we did!! It is just breathtaking and no picture can possibly do it justice. The size and scope of the rock formations are just magnificent. I just kept thanking God for His beautiful creation! Here are just a few of the pictures that I took.

Then we drove on through Utah to Layton, which is just north of Salt Lake city and found our hotel. We were all so exhausted from our day that we just went right to bed and to sleep. 

Today, Wednesday, we drove out of Utah and into Idaho. It was very different. We traveled the road that was once the Oregon trail, and it is just so hard to imagine what it must have been like to make that trip in a wagon, behind oxen, and with the dangers that were so common at that time. The land is big and just goes on and on. 

The hills are practically mountains, and water is pretty scarce. The temperature today was over 100 degrees most of the day. We didn't know it was going to be that bad, but it was really awful. I drove a good part of the day. It was pretty easy driving. We got into Washington and then found a park and the kids had KFC and played a bit, even in the heat. We climbed back into the van and made the last leg of the journey. We arrived in Yakima around 8:00 and got into our rooms. I am hoping to give my back a rest tonight, as it is very sore. I hope to be able to blog some more tomorrow night!

No comments: